As temperatures drop and cold weather sets in here in Maryland, the cost to heat your home will slowly (or perhaps not so slowly) rise.
The good news is you can take the edge off those heating bills by making some simple adjustments to your home and lifestyle. Here are three things you can do to help reduce your heating bill this winter.
1. Use your thermostat wisely – Managing your heat with a programmable thermostat is about the easiest, most cost effective way to shave a few dollars off your heating bill during peak heating months.
By dropping your thermostat by eight to ten degrees when no one is home or when you’re asleep (just throw on an extra blanket), you could save 10 percent or more on your heating bill, according to the U.S. Department of Energy.
Today’s smart thermostats take temperature control to the next level by giving you the power to adjust settings from your cellphone. Easy to install and relatively affordable, these devices enable you to raise and lower temperatures in your home when you’re at work or even on vacation.
2. Stop air leaks – Did you know that the average American home leaks the equivalent of an open window’s worth of air through spaces around home doors and windows? That kind of heat loss can really add up over the course of a winter.
Weatherizing your home with simple, cost effective measures will help tame drafts and keep the air you paid to heat inside your living space where it belongs. Try these simple energy saving tricks:
- Install plastic sheeting around window frames to block drafts; consider adding insulated window treatments (curtains, shades, etc.) to further block out cold air
- Add draft-stopping door sweeps along the bottom of exterior doors or patio sliders to keep drafty, cold air at bay
- Replace worn weather stripping and caulk around doors and windows
- Seal chimney leaks
- if you have a fireplace, close the flue when you’re not using it; if you no longer use your fireplace, consider plugging it
3. Get a solar assist – Have south-facing windows in your home? Let the sun shine in whenever possible, opening curtains and blinds to allow that free heat in. When the sun is away, close the curtains to keep that warm air in.
Want another way to save on heating bills this winter? Become a Q-Dog customer. We’ve got the best prices on heating oil and propane in our Maryland service area – all ready for delivery any time, in any weather. Contact us today to learn more!