Running out of home heating oil in the dead of winter is not fun. It leads to discomfort, the potential risks of being in a dangerously cold house, and the possibility of frozen pipes which can do all kinds of damage to your Maryland home. Not to mention, a heating oil runout can clog filters and fuel lines with the sediment that collects at the bottom of your oil tank. The result? A potentially costly repair.
Like we said, not fun!
To prevent a heating oil run-out, take the following precautions:
Choose automatic delivery – the best way to prevent a heating oil run-out is to let us be your watch dog and manage your heating oil deliveries. We will estimate your deliveries based on the current weather and your average heating oil usage in the past.
If you choose Will Call delivery,
- Monitor your fuel gauge regularly, especially during a cold snap; consider installing an electronic tank gauge to help keep an eye on your heating oil level.
- Order when your tank is no less than 25 percent full (sooner if it is really cold) – don’t wait until the last minute; instant deliveries are not always possible.
- Secure your oil tank to prevent theft.
If you run out of heating oil, take the following steps:
- If it is cold or freezing outside, take immediate steps to retain the heat you have in your house: close curtains, block drafts, hang blankets over doorways, etc.
- If you have other ways to heat your house, such as a fireplace or electric space heater, use them. NEVER use outdoor combustion equipment (barbecues, outdoor stoves, etc.) indoors – carbon monoxide build up can be extremely dangerous or even deadly.
- Contact us ASAP for an emergency heating oil delivery.
If you run out of heating oil this fall or winter, don’t panic – contact Q-Dog for an emergency heating oil delivery. Our experts can take care of any problems that arise and refill your tank to keep your family safe and warm at home.