At Q-Dog, we strive to offer the most reliable supply of discounted heating oil in our Maryland service area – but sometimes even our great prices aren’t enough to overcome a financial challenge that can leave you unable to pay for the fuel that keeps your family warm and safe.
If you need help paying your heating bill this winter, consider applying for assistance from the Maryland Energy Assistance Program (MEAP) – one of four federally funded grants administered by Maryland’s Office of Home Energy Programs (OHEP).
Here are a few common questions and answers about MEAP to help you get the application process started.
1. What is MEAP? The Maryland Energy Assistance Program (MEAP) is a federally funded program that helps low-income households with their home energy bills.
The MEAP program offers several types of help for eligible applicants, including:
- Bill payment assistance
- Energy crisis assistance
- Weatherization and energy-related home repairs
2. What are the MEAP Program Requirements? – To qualify for MEAP, you must be a resident of Maryland with an annual household income (before taxes) that must not exceed the following amounts* (effective July 1, 2018-June 30, 2019):
|Household size||Maximum Annual Income ($)|
For households with more than eight people, add $7,560 per additional person.
Please note: Energy assistance will not reduce the amount of any other public assistance benefits you receive, such as TCA or Food Stamps, nor will it reduce Social Security benefits.
3. How do I apply for MEAP?
- Apply online through the Maryland Department of Resources website
- Download and print an Application for Energy Assistance
- Apply in person at your Local Energy Assistance Office
- Call your local office to receive an application by mail.
- Home visits can also be arranged for senior citizens or other persons with special medical needs.
- For questions regarding OHEP and other information on how to apply, call 1-800-332-6347.
- For a complete list of downloadable OHEP application forms in PDF format, visit the State of Maryland Department of Human Services website at http://dhr.maryland.gov/office-of-home-energy-programs/how-do-you-apply/
Stay safe and warm this winter with assistance from MEAP and quality fuel from Q-Dog. Contact us today if you have any questions – your safety is always our priority!
* Based on 175 percent of the Federal Poverty Level