Spring is just weeks away here in Maryland – and as the days get longer, our minds naturally gravitate towards warm-weather activities like spring cleaning and summer vacation.
But before you get too far ahead of yourself, let’s not forget that you’re going to need heat in your home for at least the next couple of months, since average Maryland temperatures dip into the high 40s well into May.
With that in mind, here are some things you can do to keep your heating system running at its most efficient as we transition from winter into spring 2020:
- Replace your furnace air filters – Clogged air filters in your oil or gas furnace will reduce efficiency and could lead to needless heating repairs. Check your filter about once per month during the winter, replacing it as needed.
- Turn down your thermostat if you’re out of town – Chances are that sub-freezing temperatures won’t make an extended appearance after mid-March, so it’s probably safe to turn down your thermostat to 55° degrees or so if you’re going to be away in the coming weeks. Just be sure to have someone check your house from time to time ensure there are no issues.
- Consider home energy efficiency improvements – Spring is a great time to consider renovations that will make your home more airtight and energy-efficient. A great place to start is with a professional home energy audit – an investment that will often pay for itself in a single year in the form of lower energy bills.
- Schedule maintenance for your heating equipment – Spring and summer are a great time to get your annual heating system tune-up out of the way – you’ll beat the fall rush and be ready to go from the first heating day of fall 2020.
- Consider heating equipment upgrades – Heating systems have come a long way in the last decade, with some furnaces and boilers reaching efficiency percentage ratings well into the 90s. That’s a far cry from the 70-something percent efficiency you’re probably getting from the 20-year-old model in your basement.
Want another way to save money on energy bills this spring? Become a Q-Dog customer and get heating oil deliveries and propane deliveries at the lowest prices in Maryland! Contact us today to learn more.