Effective 9/1/19, our new propane delivery policy, read more.
Carbon Monoxide Safety and Awareness

Installing CO detector

We make sure we focus on talking about safety regularly, since it is always the number one priority here at Q-Dog.

One of the most important safety topics in any modern home in or out of Maryland is protection against a build-up of carbon monoxide gas, or “CO” – a dangerous and potentially deadly problem for you and your family.

Here are the six key questions and answers about CO – please read them carefully, and be sure to teach everyone in your home about carbon monoxide safety!

Q. What is carbon monoxide?
A. Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless gas produced when heating oil, gasoline, coal, wood, charcoal, kerosene, propane, or natural gas are burned.

Q. What causes a buildup of CO?
A. CO buildup usually occurs for two reasons: poor ventilation or damaged / improperly maintained equipment.

Q. What kind of risks does carbon monoxide pose?
A. In high amounts, carbon monoxide can cause CO poisoning, which can lead to illness, unconsciousness, or even death.

Q. What are the symptoms of CO poisoning?
A. Symptoms of CO poisoning vary depending on the amount of exposure to the gas.

  • In mild cases, symptoms include nausea, fatigue, headaches and dizziness
  • In moderate cases, symptoms include severe headaches, drowsiness, and disorientation
  • In extreme cases, symptoms include unconsciousness, convulsions, and potentially death

Q. What should I do if I experience CO poisoning symptoms?
A. If you experience CO poisoning symptoms,

  • Get fresh air immediately; open windows and leave the house
  • Call 911 or your local fire department
  • Report your symptoms to your doctor
  • Have your equipment inspected and serviced before using it again

Q. What should I do if the CO alarm sounds?
A. If the CO alarm sounds,

  • Leave the house immediately
  • Call 911 or your local fire department
  • DO NOT re-enter the premises until getting the OK from authorities
  • Have your equipment inspected and serviced before using it again

Q. How can I avoid having CO problems in my home?
A. You can avoid CO problems in your home if you:

  1. Maintain all fuel-burning appliances every year
  2. Repair faulty combustion equipment immediately
  3. Upgrade equipment if it has become unsafe due to age or poor maintenance
  4. Install CO detectors throughout your home, following the manufacturer’s instructions for placement, testing, and maintenance
  5. Study the signs and symptoms of CO poisoning, and teach your family what to do if they experience them.

Stay safe all year long in your Maryland home! Contact Q-Dog today to learn more.