Eight ideas for making your house more efficient
The days are getting shorter, and the temperatures are getting cooler. That means your home’s heating equipment is going to start having to work harder to keep you and your family warm and comfortable. Don’t let higher energy bills this winter break your budget. There are lots of things you can do to have a more heating efficient home.
Tips for Home Heating Efficiency
Follow the suggestions below to save energy and money while staying comfortable in your Maryland home:
- Maintenance is key. One of the best things you can do to keep your heating system working at maximum energy efficiency is to invest in regular maintenance checks. If you haven’t had a professional inspect your furnace or boiler in the last year, now’s the time to do it. Without regular inspections, your heating system can lose up to 5% in efficiency each year.
- Use a programmable thermostat. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, you can save up to 10% each year on your heating and cooling bills by following their guidelines for adjusting your thermostat’s setting.
- Seal the leaks. Drafts can increase your heating costs by up to 15%. Use caulk, weather-stripping, and door sweeps to help your home keep warm air in and colder air out. Use expanding foam to seal cracks in exterior walls and openings around pipes. You’ll also see the benefits (and savings) during the hot summer months because your AC won’t have to work as hard to keep your home cool.
- Reverse your ceiling fans. Did you know that ceiling fans can help your home get the most out of its heating system during the winter? If you change the rotation of your ceiling fan to clockwise, it will send the warm air that has risen towards the ceiling back down into your living space.
- Harness the sun. Open your curtains and blinds to let as much sunlight as possible in during the day. Once the sun goes down, close your curtains and blinds to help keep that heat inside.
- Space heaters help. Almost every home has that one room or space that never seems to get warm enough. Instead of turning the thermostat up on your whole house, get targeted warmth with a propane space heater. At Q-Dog, our propane services can’t be beat. We deliver small propane tanks and deliver and install underground and aboveground propane tanks.
- Replace your air filter every season. Your air filters should be changed every three months (more often if you have pets or a family member with allergies). Having clean filters will prevent your heating system from working harder than necessary. This will save you money on fuel and maintenance.
- Clear some space. You don’t want your furniture, drapes, or rugs to impede the warm air that’s trying to circulate throughout your living space. Make sure all your vents, radiators, and baseboards are unobstructed.
Now that you’ve got a more energy-efficient home, save even more by making sure you’re getting the best heating oil at the best price. At Q-Dog, we live up to every part of our name, Quality Discount Oil and Gas. As the president of our company says, “If we’re not your heating fuel company, you’re paying too much!” Why would you get your heating oil from anyone else? Click here to find out if we serve your Maryland neighborhood.
Let us put our more than 70 years of experience to work for you. Contact Q-Dog today to find out how we can save you money. We’ll be here when you need us.